Friday, May 18, 2012

Diversion #2: Summer Vacation, part 1

In celebration of the temporary freedom of academic responsibility that is summer vacation, my boyfriend and I decided to take a much-needed, week-long vacation to California the very day I finished my last final of the semester. (On a side note, I think I am still rocking a 4.0 GPA after my first full year at Northern Arizona University; official grades are posted tomorrow, so fingers crossed!)

The first day in California we went to Six Flags Magic Mountain. Oddly enough, I 'd never had the opportunity to go to any Six Flags amusement parks before this particular trip--which we made a point to do only because my boyfriend's mother gave us tickets for Christmas. At any rate, I wasn't sure what to expect. The roller coasters seemed daunting at first--some are behemoths of wood and metal and shake the ground beneath your feet as you walk by--but in actuality they are beautifully engineered and well made; I didn't get a single bout of nausea during our seven-hour tour of the amusement park, and we went on every roller coaster available to us--some even more than once. Because it's still technically "off-season," we more or less ran to the front of the lines for each coaster, which made the experience all the more enjoyable. I've heard that the lines in the heart of summer are brutal.

The roller coaster called Goliath was my favorite: it actually disturbed my vision for a few seconds after it came to a stop because it's so fast. I had tears and snot streaming down my face when we were done. It was the most attractive thing ever, really! The other roller coaster that stood out is called Tatsu--which, by the dragon design aesthetic, was meant to simulate what riding on the back of a dragon would be like. When you get in to your seat you are sitting upright, but once you take off your back is parallel to the track so that it's like you're soaring through the sky. So cool. At any rate, Magic Mountain did not disappoint one bit!

The next day was a bit of a shitstorm--complete with arguments, frustration, terrible decisions and missed connections. L.A. traffic was driving me crazy. I hadn't eaten for whatever reason for about 20 hours. I was severely dehydrated. I had terrible whiplash and bruises from being thrown around by roller coasters the day before. I had a headache that bordered on a migraine. So what did I do? I decided to drink a shot of whiskey and the equivalent of three beers before heading over to watch a live performance of The Brian Jonestown Massacre, an incredible '60s-revivalist band my boyfriend and I have been more or less following around the past couple of weeks. We saw them in Phoenix on May 1 as well, and they were amazing. But I digress.

If you don't know much about me, let's just say that I have no tolerance for alcohol whatsoever because I rarely drink. Naturally I was feeling really good for about an hour. And then the alcohol and everything mentioned above culminated into something terrible. I couldn't even make it to a bathroom before I threw up in my hands, and then in a trashcan right outside the venue doors. I'm pretty sure I almost got kicked out if it wasn't for my boyfriend assuring one of the bouncers that I wasn't just really messed up on drugs or incredibly wasted. At any rate, what I did hear was awesome, and I love The Brian Jonestown Massacre so much. If you haven't listened to them, I highly recommend it. In fact, here is a song from their new album that I'm currently obsessed with.


And because this is getting long-winded, I'll call it quits for now. I'll finish up my tale of woe (and whoa) in the next post within the next couple of days. :)

2 lived to tell about it:

Anires Relheo said... Reply

That was a great post! excellent description of the laser light show listening party! Next time BJM tour and us kindred souls go to follow them around for a week of our lives (...at least, teehee), we should do some of the following around together...I mean more-so than we did this time without even trying!!!

King of the Eyesores said... Reply

I totally agree with you! That would be the greatest experience ever-- to just fall off the map for a couple weeks and follow them around. And maybe I can get my own hug from Anton next time ;) It was so nice meeting you, and I'm positive our paths will cross in the future. Thanks for commenting on my blog! It means a lot to me.

Post a Comment